Even when I was very young, the concept of a ‘nuclear family’ somehow didn’t appeal. During an innocent search for ‘Chestnuts’ in the World Book, I stumbled upon the Chernobyl nuclear power plant disaster of 1986. With descriptions of exploding mice and cancer of the thyroid, World Book put me off these power plants and their associated families. I imagined the parents, the boy, the girl and the golden retriever somehow surviving the fallout when everyone else had evaporated.
Everyone wants children, wants to have children. Like one might have someone to dinner or have epilepsy, yes, have children. It is quite trendy. I remember buying a pair of red jeans – the height of 90’s fashion, or so I thought. But children can’t be donated to the Salvation Army when they no longer fit - when they’re passé. Today couples choose between having children and buying a Lexus - creating life or having cruise control. I can scarcely choose the right flavoured drinking yoghurt from the supermarket shelves. Be fruitful and multiply with sex, test tubes and Branjelina, for there are children in this world just waiting to be had.
1 comment:
I dont agree with you, i want my dog to have a family, to have puppys, my mother wants it, my father wants it, my brother and sisters want it too... But the dog, DAMN dog just wont allow any dog to do her. So, no, not everybody wants a family
Post a Comment